Wednesday, January 23, 2013

calories for weight loss

I received the following question on dietitiancentral.com:

Message: Mrs. Andrews,
I am currently on a diet where I have been counting calories. I have read that it's said that for a woman of my size 5'7 275lbs that 1,200 calories is what I should take in. But in order for me to lose weight I neeed to cut 500 calories from my diet. Currently I have been taking in about 750-900 calories daily, but I also have started riding an excise bike which burns off another 200 calories. I have been losing weight and I haven't been having any symptoms such as leg cramps, dizziness, or any other issues. Is this a safe diet for me to on? Also I want to make eating healthy and exercising a new lifestyle for me, yes I am doing it to lose weight now but it's something I want to continue doing.
 
Thanks for your email.  I'm not sure where you read that your calorie level is 1200 per day as this is way too low for a woman of your height and weight.  Many magazines will suggest women "do not go below 1200 calories per day" as this is very difficult to adhere to and can potentially cause nutrient deficiencies.  It is very difficult to obtain adequate nutrition in such a low calorie level.  And, quite frankly, you will be starving!
 
You will likely lose weight on this diet, but it is not safe long term.  You may have lost some fat as well as protein (muscle) as well as water thus far.  It is dangerous to stay on a level this low as it may cause electrolyte abnormalities (potassium, magnesium, calcium), dehydration,  hair loss, dry skin, lightheadnesses, fatigue, etc.
 
A more appropriate level for you is about 1500 per day, which I suggest as you are exercising.  If your calorie level is too low, your metabolism will stall and eventually, you will stop losing.  In addition, you won't have much energy to exercise if you don't eat enough!
 
I suggest you look at choosemyplate.gov for a sample 1500 calorie meal plan.  You may obtain individualized help by finding an RD at www.eatright.org
 
Best of luck!
Lisa


No comments:

Post a Comment